Conveyor Line and Machine Productivity Solutions
Machine Productivity Solutions
Machine Changeover Challenges & Solutions
Challenge: Reduce Operating Costs, Inefficient Changeover Process (Operator Setup Variations, Skilled Labour)
- Standardized Machine Platform Changeover Solutions – Standardized Machine Changeover Solutions – engineered solutions for a consistent and common change over process, regardless of machine manufacturer and function.
- Tool-Less Changeover Solution – for quick, intuitive, repeatable change part set up
Challenge: Change Part Storage and Identification Concerns (Lost, Damaged Change Parts)
- Part Identification – Rapid visual identification with wash down inert laser etching and over 11 material color combinations.
- Change Part Storage Solutions – Standardized or custom designed for specific change parts storage needs will result in “a place for everything and everything in its place”. Storage systems provide peace of mind to readily identify lost or damaged parts.
Challenge: Worker Safety Risks and Concerns (Heavy, Awkward Parts; Noise & Ergonomics)
- Lightweight Materials and Engineered Weight-Handling Factors – Health and safety and repetitive strains reduced when ergonomics is engineered into the solution.
- Ease of Access Solutions – Mobile storage systems move to work station to reduce health and safety concerns of heavy lifting, carrying and repetitive strain.
- Ergonomic Change Part Solutions – Engineered solutions for ease to carry, fit on machine and troubleshoot with ergonomics in mind to reduce weight and size of parts.
Challenge: Change Part Wear (Change Part Maintenance & Longevity)
- Guide Wear Edge – Replaceable guide inserts manufactured from wear resistant materials with proper co-efficient of friction for optimum container handling and available in custom profiles to contact container for optimum container control.
- Star Wheel Pocket Wear Inserts – Exchangeable star pocket profiles manufactured from premium materials which can be exchanged when existing pockets wear out or become damaged.
- Engineered Polymer Materials – Wide selection of engineered plastics which are FDA compliant, wash down chemical inert, temperature compliant with low co-efficient of friction which yield increased change part service life.
Challenge: Multiple Sets of Change Parts
- Adjustable Pocket Star Wheel – Multi-pocket star wheel for round and rectangular containers.
- Neck Register Designs – Specialized design to enable machine and change parts to transport container by neck.
- Guide & Star Wheel Inserts – Exchangeable star & guide profiles for induvial bottle sizes which mount to pre-engineered nucleus component.
- Universal Grippers – Proprietary gripper pocket profile design to accommodate multiple containers with one set of grippers.
Container Handling Challenges and Solutions
Challenge: Container Static Issues
- Beaded Guide Rail – Custom engineered profiles to increase surface contact with less friction.
- Static Reduction Solutions – Anti-static materials & engineered solutions to dissipate static buildup.
Challenge: Puck Handling
- Multi-Contact Point & Pocket/Guide Geometry – Smooth transfer of puck and container to accurately place the container and puck for packaging application to be completed.
Challenge: Container Control (Separation, Lifting, Shingling, Tipping, Jamming, Marking, Denting)
- Star Pocket Inserts – Exchangeable pocket profiles manufactured from premium materials for low friction and custom container geometry profile.
- Anti-Rotation Inserts – Exchangeable, custom solutions for preventing container rotation during capping / production process.
- Container Retention Cover – Proprietary solution eliminating container lifting and instability during production.
- Container Separation Solutions – Unique mechanical techniques for separating, orientating and managing container travel, which results in preventing or eliminating container shingling and jamming.
Challenge: Product Agitation
- Machine and Machine-to-Machine Engineered Solutions – smooth transfer of container, minimizing foaming or oxygen content of product
- Anti-Rotation Inserts – Exchangeable, custom solutions for preventing container jostling and rotations during capping / production process
Challenge: Unsatisfactory Production Speeds
- Change Parts Review – Performance study of existing change parts using high speed cameras and observing machine operation and changeover set up. Identifying opportunities for improvement utilizing a combined 100 plus years of industry changeover expertise.
- Multi-Industry Expertise – Knowledge and experience gained from working on over 1000 makes and models of packaging machines, across all Consumer Packaged Goods industries. Applying science to engineer solutions for optimal production speeds between 150 BPM to 1800 BPM
- Pneumatic Bottle Reject – Non-conforming containers, not filled or capped, discharged from machine and into reject lane at speeds ranging from 50 BPM to 300 BPM.
Challenge: Container Infeed Issues
- Engineered & Proven Solutions – Challenges with separating square to tear drop containers eliminated by means of mechanical techniques and using shingled container to create the required separation.
- Container In-Feeding Solutions – Unique, proprietary mechanical techniques for separating, orientating and managing container travel nuances resulting in prevention or elimination of shingling and jamming.
- Feed Screw Bottle Stop – Randomly stop containers feeding into feed screw to maintain primed feed screw while machine continues to operate to empty bottles from machine and wait to begin start up when remaining line is ready.
- Low Friction Guides – Specialty low friction materials available as Guide Wear Edges or solid guide.
- Programmable Infeed Control System (PICS) – Proprietary dual feed screw system which can randomly stop and start feed screw rotation, while containers are in feed screw, to accommodate machine inefficiencies for skipping filler valves or capping heads while filler / capper maintains operating.
Challenge: Container/Cap Orientating Issues
- Engineered Solutions – Randomly orientated containers/caps, orientated and orientation maintained for labeling, capping, filling, and inspection.
Challenge: New Package Designs, Large Container on Small Machine Footprint
- Skip Feed – Unique, proven change parts designs for containers which are too large for machine.
- Container Offset Pitch – Custom engineered machine and change parts solution to utilize existing equipment.
- Existing Machine Platform Won’t Fit New Bottle Size – Existing machine won’t fit new bottle size – when machine specifications suggest either a new machine or different line, unique engineered change part solutions available, saving significant capital equipment expense
Line Productivity Solutions
Line Adjustment Challenges and Solutions
Challenge: Shorter production runs, line flexibility needs, guide rail adjustment time excessive / inconsistent (corners, straights & crossovers )
- Standardized Guide Rail Changeover Solutions – Take changeover time from hours to minutes with intuitive, tool less, repeatable guide rail changeovers across multiple conveyor manufacturers for standardized changeover.
- Guide Rail Changeover Automation – Increase speed and repeatability of change over, decrease lead-time to launch new products, and run at full production operating speeds.
- Reliable and Repeatable Guide Rail Changeovers – Precise container control through any configuration of straight, corner, curve section and change up to 80 feet of guide rail (24 m) from one location with accuracy within plus / minus 1 mm.
- Operator Changeover Variances – Eliminate tweaking and operator preference variations to achieve fast repeatable changeovers with dial indicator settings or automated adjustments by PLC.
- Multi-Lane Adjust – Adjust guide rail settings for multiple lanes, precisely and riggedly, with the added ability to reduce or increase the number of container conveying lanes to accommodate various grid packing configurations.
Challenge: Drop in conveyor corner and Cross-over Change Part storage limitations.
- Eliminate Change Parts – Unison corners and cross-overs maintain a centerlined and concentric container travel path for precise, controlled, repeatable container handling on any curve radius. Flexible, precise and superior to drop in rail change parts.
Challenge: Guide Rail adjustments due to bottle dimensional variations
- Rapid Pre-Set Guide Rail Settings – Easy, flexible and fast to set and adjust guide rails to the variations in container lot sizes during changeover and production. Fine-tune with precision through straight, corner or curve section to new container dimensions
Challenge: Lack of Skilled Labour, Labour Shortages, Operator Preferences
- No Tools and Minimum Skill Required – The use of dial indicators at each handwheel adjustment location, or Automation system with PLC program, achieves precise changeovers to predetermned settings or program recipes.
- Automated Guide Rail Adjust – Eliminate variation in adjustment settings associated to operator preferences, reach remote/hazardous locations and further increase guide rail adjustment speed by use of a touch screen either added to exisitng line controls or a stand alone line control.
Challenge: Guide Rail Adjustment in Remote Locations and Safety Concerns (Overhead Conveyor, Cap Tracks, Quarantine Areas)
- Engineered Guide Rail Changeover Solutions – Eliminate health and safety concerns and achieve consistent, repeatable guide rail adjustments for remote locations like overhead conveyor and quarantined areas, while reducing changeover time from hours to minutes with intuitive, tool less, repetitive changeovers across multiple conveyor manufacturers.
Challenge: New Technology Is Not Limited to New Machines
- Legacy Lines Can Be Upgraded – Retrofit to new or existing conveying lines for innovative ways to changeover guide rails settings and handle containers.
Container Handling Challenges & Solutions
Challenge: Container and Cap Control (Shingling, Lifting, Jamming, Tipping, Marking, Denting)
- Container Retainer/Dust Cover – Proprietary solution eliminating container lifting and instability during production.
- Container Handling Solutions – Unique mechanical techniques and proprietary solutions for orientating and managing container travel, preventing or eliminating shingling and jamming.
- Container Geometric Profile Utilization – Specialized design enabling gude rails to stabilize container using existing container geometry.
- Container Control Solutions – Unique mechanical techniques for feeding and managing container travel, preventing or eliminating marking and denting.
- Low Friction Guides – Specialty low frction materials available as guide rail surface, reducing or eliminating container sticking.
- Unison Mini – Adjust guide rail setting on smaller frame conveyor to align caps and smaller containers, achieving premium cap and container handling and control.
Challenge: Container Static Issues
- Beaded Guide Rail – Custom engineered guide rail profiles to increase surface contact with less friction for corners, straights and cross overs.
- Static Reduction Solutions – Anti-static materials and engineered solutions to disipate static build up, preventing containers from sticking to guide rails and each other.
Challenge: Puck Handling
- Multi-Contact Point & Guide Geometry – Smooth transfer of puck and container to accuratly place the container and puck for packaging application to be completed.
Challenge: Prevent Product Waste, Product Loss Due to Splashing
- Guide Rail to Container Multi-Contact Point – Motion study analysis of containers on test bench define optimum guide rail to container contact points for smooth transfer and conveying of container, minimizing foaming, splashing and product oxygen content while achieving higher production speeds.
- Unison Vertical/Horizontal – Adjust guide rail position to predetermined settings, to align the guide rail with the optimum location horizontally and vertically for supoerior container control.
Challenge: Unsatisfactory Production Speeds
- Guide Rail System Review – Performance study of existing guide rails, observing current operating nuances by utlizing our combined 100 plus years of industry intellect.
- Multi-Industry Intellect – Experience obtained from working with numerous makes and models of conveyor, across all Consumer Packaged Goods industries, applied to develop solutions to obtain performance speeds between 150 BPM to 1800 BPM.